Happy August, everyone! Springdale has officially closed its investment in UNI, a natural, non-toxic, sustainable bodycare refill system that helps reduce single-use plastic without compromising design, while providing luxurious body care experience! I’m thrilled to welcome Alexandra and the rest of UNI’s rockstar team to our Springdale family in this week’s headlines roundup 🙂
- Restaurateur, entrepreneur, TV host, and wellness coach Michael Chernow is launching Kreatures of Habit later this month, a plant-based, gluten and allergen-free single-serve breakfast meal packing the nutrients of oats and protein with vitamins, minerals, as well as omega 3 fatty acids. Offering speed and convenience, the company’s initial brand PrOATagonist is made in less than 3 minutes and comes in 3 craveable flavors, including chocolate, blueberry banana, and vanilla. Michael has tapped former RX Bar CMO Victor Lee to usher Kreature of Habit’s go-to-market strategy and invited serial investor and entrepreneur, Gary Vaynerchuk, who also invested in Tiny Organics and Ethey, as lead investor and advisor.
- CaliWater, relaunched by Vanessa Hudgens and Oliver Trevena, has onboarded a group of celebrities as their latest investors, including Brooke Burke, Ross Butler and Glen Powell, targeting $10 million valuation after closing $2 million seed round. With the increasing market hype around prickly pear as a lower-carb hydrating alternative to coconut, the company believes it can reach $100 million in valuation by next year. “We shoot for the stars,” Vanessa said yesterday.
- KOIA protein drink’s co-founders, Maya French and Dustin Baker, are leaving the company due to limited capacity for their creative minds, launching a new line of soda that offers a happy place for unhappy people early next year. Their formula is currently being developed while the packaging has been finalized. Key ingredient: monk fruit!
- D2C condiment brand Fly By Jing announced late last week that it had raised $5 million from investment firm Prelude Growth Partners. Over the next few months the company will debut in Sprouts stores nationwide along with launches in some regions of Target, Whole Foods Market and Costco.
- Plant-based cheese and butter maker Miyoko’s Creamery today announced the closing of a $52 million funding round led by Powerplant Partners, which the company plans to use to grow distribution and launch new dairy-free cheese innovations.
- Ultrahuman has raised $18 million in Series B. The platform is committed to helping individuals create long-term healthy habits and lifestyle changes that go beyond working out. The brand is measuring metrics like glucose trends and HRV in regards to individuals’ activities and food intake.
- With humble beginnings as a maker of “hippie health food,” gluten-free and vegan cookie brand Emmy’s Organics is now a step closer to its goal of becoming a “legacy brand.” The brand has been acquired by Grupo Bimbo, the Mexico-based baked goods giant announced last week, and will join its Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU) portfolio alongside brands such as Entenmann’s, Thomas, Sara Lee and Arnold.
- Rockshield has closed our acquisitions of Plant-Based and Foodtech companies Belle Pulses and Sapientia. Rockshield is now forecasting $60,000,000 in 2021 Revenue.
- Instacart has appointed former Facebook exec Carolyn Everson as president, effective Sept. 7. Everson brings a 30-year track record of leading at-scale, global consumer technology teams with a focus on growing global partnerships, industry-leading business development and pioneering advertising platforms.